Thursday, September 30, 2010

Album Review: Henry Clay People – Somewhere on the Golden Coast

Thank you Slacker Radio! A few months ago, my wife and I were playing “the Game.” “The Game” consists of my wife flipping through the digital music stations on the TV and then me naming the song, artist, year, and album. I have a savant like ability at this endeavor. I’m unstoppable on 80’s new wave and 90’s altrock.

The game doesn’t end until you hear two songs by either Grand Funk Railroad or REO Speedwagon. This is not a hard and fast rule, but was pretty easy to follow on the old Music Choice Network that comes with our cable service, the 70’s Rock station played a boatload of these two artists.

Every now and again “the game” turns us onto a new artist. A few months ago we heard a song by the Henry Clay People. My initial response was “Did Pavement record a new song for their new greatest hits album?”

Wife: No
Me: So who is this? It sounds like a cross between Pavement, Dinosaur Jr., and Built to Spill!
Wife: The Henry Clay People
Me: Never heard of them, I’ll have to check them out.

I made a note to research them and never did. A few weeks ago, I finally downloaded the album. It’s great. If you like guitar-based indie rock, you should check it out. They aren’t breaking any ground or doing anything new, but the songs are catchy. They have some great guitar parts and the guitar tones are especially good. It's safe to say that they will have a spot on my Best of 2010. I'll stop short of calling them my Deer Tick for this year, but they might be my new Whigs...

Stand-out Tracks:
Keep Your Eyes Closed
Saturday Night
Slow Burn
The Digital Kid

No comments:

Post a Comment