Saturday, December 11, 2010

Best of 2010 Tracks 2-4

I dropped the ball and missed posting the second track of my Best of yesterday. As a result, I'll post tracks 2-4 now.

2. Tighten Up - The Black Keys

The Black Keys are another band that I was slow to appreciate. I always felt like they had great riffs but weak songs. I must have listened to the wrong tracks, because I now have songs I love from each of their albums. What finally got me into them was Dan Auerbach's solo album from last year. This album (and this track) do a good job of blending the rough edges of the Black Keys with the full-band sound of the solo disc. .and it has some of the coolest flange and fuzz tones around...



3. Don't Look Back - She & Him

M. Ward. Zooey Deschanel. Production that sounds like California in the 60's. Killer harmonies. A kick-ass bridge. If you don't love this you have zero taste.



4. Keep Your Eyes Closed - The Henry Clay People

I learned of this band by playing "the game." "The game" involves my wife scrolling through the digital music channels on the TV and me naming the song, artist, album, and year. This song came on and I said "Did Pavement include a new track on their singles compilation? Who is this?" It was Henry Clay People and it sounds like a perfect mix of Pavement, Built to Spill, and maybe a little Dinosaur Jr. It's perfect, poppy, indie rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment