Sunday, May 20, 2012

Mojo Hand Recoil Review

I had a great time with the Mojohand EFX tour box. As I said previously, the Nebula was the star of the show for me, but the Recoil was a close second. If you're looking for a solid, affordable digital delay with analog flavor, you can't do much better than the Recoil.

I have an EHX Memory Toy that I keep around for experimenting, but most of my delay sounds come from a Line 6 M9. I like the M9 because I can get a lot of delay sounds, tap tempo, and expression (for crazy runaway oscillation) in a nice small(ish) package.

The Recoil blows the Memory Toy out of the water. You can use the tone knob to cop the lo-fi tones, but you can also use it to get nice, clear delays. Comparing the Recoil to the M9 feels weird - apples and oranges. In most situations, it sounded better than the M9. And of course, it's smaller, lighter, and cheaper. I missed the tap temp and/or expression features though. I should preface that the majority of my delay use is either for Edge-style rhythmic things or for wacky oscillation stuff. And sure, when you crank the repeats it will freak out and self-oscillate, but I'd prefer not to have to kneel down to do that.

If I were setting up a board for more traditional rock, country, or pop sounds, the Recoil would be my go-to delay. It's great for thickening solos. And with the tone at noon, has one of the best slapback sounds I've ever heard from a pedal.

Some of the real fun with the Recoil came when I used my Danelectrode to power (or in this case underpower) the Recoil. It won’t do anything at 3 volts, but right between 3 and 4 it coughs up a really grainy delay that sort of fades in and out of pitch with the original note and even changes repeat speed slightly as it fades out. It continues to do weird little things like this up until about 5.5 or 6 volts where it starts to add a really nice shimmery chorus. Once you get to seven volts or so, it’s hard to tell much difference from 9 volts.

No comments:

Post a Comment