Friday, February 18, 2011

Blood Orange Gin & Tonic

It’s rare when 70 degree days and blood orange season overlap (at least in Maryland). Today was one of those days. The warm weather, combined with Jason Wilson’s recent piece in the Post, had me craving a gin & tonic.

Coming home to discover we had no limes - I decided to use a blood orange as the garnish and to add a little juice to the mix as well. And since I’ve really been enjoying Campari and blood orange juice with mineral water lately, I threw in some Campari as well. Good times.

The resulting drink came out a little sweet. I think this weekend I’ll work on creating my own tonic using blood orange juice as the base. Until then, this will have to do.

And since no one should drink alone, the following recipe makes two drinks. If you are drinking alone, you’ll need the second drink to drown your sorrows…

Recipe

2 blood orange slices for garnish
Juice from ½ a blood orange
4 oz. Gin
1.5 oz. Campari
12 oz. of Tonic Water

No comments:

Post a Comment