Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Si Paloma

Bird on a palapa in the Florida Keys, Copyright 2006
Remember last week when it was 70 degrees and we thought spring had arrived? That got me craving fish tacos and margaritas. Last night, I finally made the fish tacos (as I anticipated shoveling more ice and snow). Rather than make margaritas, I noticed the large bag of grapefruits on the counter and remembered that Jason Wilson, author of Boozehound and spirits editor for the Washing Post, had written that Mexicans don’t drink margaritas. They mix their Tequila with grapefruit soda. So rather than make margaritas – I made Palomas! Note: I tried it with and without the club soda and liked it more without.

I’m not sure what Mark Kozelek (Red House Painters, Sun Kil Moon) was thinking when he wrote Si Paloma, but I do know what I was thinking when I drank the Paloma. “How did I wait this long to discover this taste combination?!”

Tequila is my second favorite spirit (behind bourbon) so we always have a few varieties on hand. Last night, I used Jose Cuervo Tradicional – a very solid 100% Agave tequila at around $25 a bottle. The grapefruit pairs perfectly with Tequila and brings out a smokiness in the Tradicional that I have never noticed when sipping it straight or in a margarita. It almost tastes as if the drink was made with Mezcal rather than Tequila.

Now if only Spring would come back – I’m ready to sit on the deck, cue up the beach playlist, and sip a Paloma.




hocofood@@@

No comments:

Post a Comment