Thursday, August 11, 2011

MMJ and Neko Case Duets

Tomorrow night, two of my favorite bands are playing together at Merriweather. And it just so happens that they comprise two of the best voices in current music – Jim James of My Morning Jacket and Neko Case.

After we put the kids to bed last night, Mrs. P90 and I were discussing how we hoped that Neko would join MMJ for at least one song. We were trying to think of what they should sing together. I thought of the version of Helpless that Neil Young and Joni Mitchell sing in the Last Waltz. I went to bed trying to think of other songs that Jim and Neko would sound great on. Here’s what I came up with. 
  1. Helpless – Neil Young and Joni Mitchell
  2. Sometimes Always – Jesus and Mary Chain and Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star)
  3. In My Hour of Darkness – Gram Parsons and Emylou Harris
  4. Sleep All Summer – Crooked Fingers
  5. Don’t Give Up – Peter Gabriel with Kate Bush
Yes, I realize I’m going very obscure with Sleep All Summer, but I think Jim and Neko would sound amazing on it. And while Don’t Give Up would be great for them, I’m not sure it the right choice for a live show. Hmm, maybe the two of them should do a whole album together…

On a side note, looking at the setlist from the show on Wednesday in Pittsburgh it looks like Jim and Neko did a duet of Islands in the Stream. Hopefully we can at least get a reprise of that.

And if you’re not already planning to attend this show, I urge you to reconsider.

No comments:

Post a Comment