Saturday, June 2, 2012

Of Monsters and Thrones

Best album of the Year? Worst album cover of the year?
I’ve been remiss. I haven’t told my two loyal readers about my favorite new band. I am head over heals in love with Of Monsters and Men. I’ve heard them referred to as “this year’s The Head and the Heart,” but I’m not feeling that comparison. If anything, I’d call them a magical cross between Belle & Sebastian and Arcade Fire. No matter who you compare them to, their debut album My Head in An Animal is easily one of my favorite 2012 releases and is chock full of great songs.

My favorites are probably Little Talks, Six Weeks, From Finner, and King and Lionheart. Even the girls love Of Monsters and Men, although my eldest says their name is silly. I tried to explain that all of the good band names had been used up by the mid-to-late 1990’s (*insert citation – Limp Bizkit, Hoobastank, Maroon 5) but that’s a hard concept for a five year old. Especially a kid who thinks this about Belle & Sebastian. But I digress.

Maybe it’s because I was late to the party and just started watching Game of Thrones around the time I got this album, but if there ever was a perfect song for Thrones, it’s King and Lionheart.

King and Lionheart
Howling ghost they reappear
In mountains that are stacked with fear
But you're a king and I'm a lion-heart.
And in the sea that's painted black,
Creatures lurk below the deck
But you're a king and I'm a lion-heart.


If I had to recommend just one song from the album, it's this one:

No comments:

Post a Comment