Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Marquee Moon

A perfect Saturday - a trip to a nature center with the kids, followed by a whiskey tasting, and a fancy grocery store.

On Saturday, we took the girls to the Irvine Nature Center. We've wanted to go for a long time, but truth be told, the impetus for the trip was that a nearby liquor store (Quarry Wine & Spirits) was doing a tasting of "American Still Life Spirits." The Nature Center was a great time. The girls had a blast and we saw a red-tailed hawk up close. The whiskey and gin wasn't bad either.

Ok, time to come clean. I'm from Kentucky. We moved to Maryland when I was 13 so I consider myself a Marylander. And while I never cared for the Dukes of Hazard I dream of moonshine. Needless to say, I was very excited to taste Wry Moon - Unaged pot-distilled 100% rye Kentucky Whiskey (aka moonshine).

The Wry Moon smells (quite surprisingly) a lot like a silver tequila. When I mentioned this, the guy doing the tasting said it could be used in many of the same cocktail recipes. As for taste, it's spicy like a good rye, but lacks the vanilla and other softer flavors that come from barrel aging. It's a natural for the Ginger Shine (which sounds amazing) or the White Manhattan. But come on, it's moonshine, for now I'm drinking it straight... hocofood@@@


No comments:

Post a Comment