Monday, March 14, 2011

Out of Gas (station tacos)

Today, I finally had the R&R Deli "gas station" tacos that HowChow has been raving about! I’m sorry to say, but it took a taco-themed episode of Mexico: One Plate at a Time and a wrong turn leaving a birthday party to remind me to try them. I’m happy I finally did.

I tried the barbacoa (lamb), carnitas (pork) and al pastor (also pork). The barbacoa was just ok. It was a little tough and dry. Next, I tried the carnitas. They were good, but not great. I make some pretty mean carnitas (starting with my smoked pulled pork) based off carnitas I had from a street vendor in Playa del Carmen. These are a cubed pork with great flavor, but still a little dry. So far, not blowing my mind. Maybe they were having an off day?

Finally, I tried the tacos al pastor. They are outstanding! I’m a huge fan of tacos al pastor and they’ve been hard to re-create at home. Zapatas in Harper’s Choice has great ones (and not to get side-tracked, but they have amazing huevos rancheros). These are just as good. They are tender, a little sweet, a little spicy, just perfect really. In fact, the only thing that could make them better would be eating them on a nice beach with my feet in the sand. And of course, with a cold beer or Paloma.

I’ll be back at R&R very soon to try more of the menu. Next up – the lengua. Sure, I’ll happily make a stock out of animal joints and bones, but generally I stick to the more “suburban” cuts of beef, lamb, and pork. A little tongue taco should be just the ticket to get me out of my comfort zone. Who knows, I might be posting about the menudo before too long...  hocofood@@@

@@

No comments:

Post a Comment