Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Cinder and Smoke

Sometimes you just need to experiment. Today was that day. I had an urge for smoked meat stuffs for dinner and the only cut of meat thawed was a boneless chuck roast.

Fatty cut of meat? Check. But I’ve never heard of anyone smoking a chuck roast before. Time for the Google. I quickly stumbled across this recipe. Seems that I’m not that original in my desire to smoke a chuck roast. I’m still a little nervous as I have only ever braised a chuck roast.

I decided that a combination of smoking and then wrapping in foil with a little liquid would be my safest bet. I pre-heated the smoker to 225 degrees and prepped the meat. My basic rub is meant to be used for pork. I find that beef usually needs a little more salt and a little more spice. I added additional salt and black pepper to the rub, kicked in some ground chipotle, and coated the meat. I then put it on the smoker for an hour. I checked it and found the internal temp was (insert). At this point, I wrapped it in foil, added a little Dogfish Head Palo Santo as my liquid, and put it back on the smoker for another hour.

I pulled it off the smoker and brought it inside. It tasted great, but it was tough and chewy. I added a little more beer and put it in the crock pot on low for four hours. After that, it was delicious. The flavor of smoked meat and the texture of a perfectly cooked pot roast. Too late for dinner. Guess it will go on sandwiches on in tacos...

No comments:

Post a Comment