Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Hellhound and Homemade BBQ Pt. 2

Last night, along with our delicious BBQ pork dinner, Mrs. P90 and I split a bottle of Hellhound on My Ale. It was really good. For those of you unfamiliar with this beer, it's a collaboration between Dogfish Head and Sony Legacy celebrating the 100th anniversary of the birth of blues guitarist Robert Johnson. As the story goes, Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil in exchange for incredible guitar playing skills. The beer takes its name from the Johnson song, Hell Hound on my Trail.

But back to the beer. It's an imperial pale ale brewed with dried lemons. It clocks in at 10% abv and 100 IBUs. If I had to compare it to something, I'd compare it to the Dogfish 90-Minute IPA. It's probably close to a cross between 90-Minute and 120-Minute. But it's been a while since I've had any 120-Minute...

As for the lemons, I'd say they are subtle at best. I didn't pick up on them at first and would never have smelled them if I hadn't known they were in there. As the beer warmed in my glass I might have finally smelled them. Or maybe I was just telling myself I did. It doesn't matter. It's a great beer on its own. Get it while you can. It's a limited release and won't be on shelves long. The King's Contrivance liquor store had a few bottles as of Friday. I haven't seen it anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment