Thursday, May 26, 2011

Hellhound and Homemade BBQ Pt. 4 - Pork BBQ Recipe

As promised, here is my recipe for pork BBQ. But it’s not very original. I take two pork shoulders (Boston butts if you will), slather them in yellow mustard, and then rub them with Penzey’s Spices BBQ of the Americas. I sometimes make my own rub, but the Penzey’s mix is pretty great. I then place said pork shoulders in my smoker and bathe them in glorious hickory smoke at roughly 225 degrees for 18-24 hours.

That’s it. Yes, I soak the wood chips and refill the smoker box every 1.5 – 2 hours for the first 12 hours. But really, that’s it.

If you want to get into smoking, I would first warn you that it’s addictive. Also, your neighbors are likely to bust down your door when you subject them weekend after weekend to the smells smoldering hickory and rendering pork fat.

If you’re still interested, spend a few hours over at the Smoke Ring. The folks on there know their BBQ! I’d also recommend Steve Raichlen’s BBQ Bible – it’s available at our lovely Howard County Library.

If you already have a Weber kettle type grill, you can use it for smoking by starting a fire on one side and adding wood chips. It helps to buy a cooking grate with a hinged section for adding additional chips and charcoal. You can also MacGuyver an electric smoker by placing an electric hot plate in the bottom of your Weber kettle and placing a smoker box on top.

And or course, you can buy a smoker. I have one of these. Some day, I’ll have one of these!

Before

after

No comments:

Post a Comment