Friday, May 6, 2011

Mordecai is Back!

A few years ago, I was letting Daisy (the P90 family dog) into the backyard at the same time a hawk was swooping down. Daisy and the hawk almost collided and I’ve been fascinated with hawks ever since. The Mrs. would say I've become obsessed...

I usually see one or two in the mornings on my way to work, often at the intersections of 32 and 29 and sometimes at 29 and Brokenland. And there is a red-tailed hawk that I have named Mordecai whom I see most evenings resting on a street lamp on 32.

For the last 6-10 weeks I have not seen any. ANd shortly before they disappeared, I saw one dead on the side of 32. I feared that it was Mordecai.

But this morning, I saw him (or at least I hope it was him) perched on a lamp post above 32.
I’m not much of a birder, but from my research it seems that the most common species in HoCo (and MD in general) are red-tailed, red-shouldered, sharp shinned, and Cooper’s hawks. I recently bought a little laminated fold-out Guide to North American Raptors. From what I can tell, I see mostly red-tailed and sharp shinned hawks.
Anybody out there know more about birds? Any suggestions for best spots to view raptors in HoCo? Aside from road sides, I’ve mostly seen hawks and bald eagles at the Columbia Lake Front and Centennial Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment