Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Square Route to Delicious Burgers

On Sunday, I made square burgers. Yes, like Dave Thomas style! It wasn’t my first time making square burgers. I was doing it that way for a while and then got out of the habit. This time, I’m sticking with square burgers.

The point of the square burger is that it doesn’t shrink in on itself the way a round burger does. The physics of a square burger are what keeps it from shrinking and thus creates a juicy and perfectly cooked burger.
For burgers, the P90s pretty much stick with organic ground beef or grind it ourselves. And since I rarely have the patience/free time to grind my own beef, we usually just buy organic. If you can’t splurge for organic, read Fast Food Nation. Organic will suddenly seem like a bargain…

And for burgers I usually use 80/20. Anything leaner seems to dry out.

To make the square burgers, add seasoning (salt, pepper, whatever you like) and then work the beef into a square between sheets of wax paper or plastic wrap. Use a knife or pizza wheel to cut into four burgers of similar size.

Pre-heat the grill on high and then reduce heat to medium. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side (depending on how you like your burgers). And that’s it. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment